Thursday 3 November 2011

I do believe in Harry Potter, I do, I do!






First of all, apologies for not writing in so long, I have been snowed under masses of homework and various bit and bobs for college and then there's my place at BCB Radio which takes up a lot of brain space. Also, as I don't have a computer at home, I can only really get everything I need to do from Monday to Friday which is a near impossible task and I nearly always stay till closing time. Anyway, today I'm going to write about my first love and I made a promise on my UCAS application that I would begin to talk about books that I've read and films that I've watched so here goes!

I don't care what anybody says about the Harry Potter franchise, there is definitely something magic about it. J.K. Rowling is of complete literary genius and she has affected my life in a really big way. I've just about got three-quarters of the way through Order of the Phoenix after reading the previous four books and I am totally smitten. It has become routine for me to unwind with a chapter as soon as I get home from college and then another in the bath and then maybe another in bed; it pains me to put it down.

I swear that by reading the Harry Potter series, the coursework I have produced for college has improved. The way in which Harry, Ron and Hermione tackle their homework as soon as they get back to the common room has encouraged me to do the same, of course I don't live in a dormitory but the principle remains. I also feel real emotion towards each of the characters and even though it hasn't been mentioned explicitly, I know Ron and Hermione have got something going on, subtle though it may be.

Every night my dreams are somehow influenced by the magical world, either in a good way or a bad way but it's usually bad. For example, the night before last I dreamt that a rogue Hippogriff was trying to attack me - it somehow managed to get through the window of my bedroom (I was living at my parents house in the dream) and it really didn't look healthy, as if it had rabies or something similar.

The only thing I can fault about J.K. Rowling's creation is the constant re-iteration of certain scenes such as Privet Drive, the Gryffindor common room, the Divination classroom etc. However, I think this just adds to her genius as she does it less and less and the books progress, implying an element of maturing not only amongst all the characters but the book's audience itself. As a child, I read The Philosopher's Stone which I reread in later life and have grown up ready to take on the cement block that is The Order of the Phoenix. To be honest, I don't know what I'll do when I've finished reading the series, I'm worried I won't find a comparison and a Hogwarts-shaped hole will be left in my heart. Nevertheless, all good things must end if we are to truly appreciate them and J.K. Rowling, I salute you, I aspire to have talent like your and I want to have the power to make others share my imagination through their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment